Monday, July 30, 2012

Duqeunse Whistle by Adam Selzer


The Duquense Whistle by Adam Selzer





This whistle just might be the death of me yet
or at least send me clear out of town
cause it's just the same tone as a banshee I heard
on the night when a great ship went down
the ship was enormous, the ship it was grand
and I had helped build it, a young belfast man
a hungry young buck with no blood on my hands
and just enough blood in my heart
The duquense whistle sounds like a banshee
and if anyone knows it it's me
for I heard the sound when the great ship went down
to its grave deep down under the sea

Well the ship sales off, and the next job came round
but when night when I was out walking
I heard a strange sound, coming over the hills
in the morning I heard people talking
of the news of the ship being lost to the waves
and everyone down in a watery grave
i thought of the sound, and I heard myself say
"so that's what a banshee must sound like."
The duquense whistle sounds like a banshee
and if anyone knows it it's me
for I heard the sound when the great ship went down
to its grave deep down under the sea

I tried to creep under the shadows that hung
I left my home long ago 
and thought maybe here all the demons would leave
then I heard that damned whistle blow
so now when it blows in it's miserable way
I take off my hat and I quietly pray
that whatever we're building at the factory today
will fare just a tiny bit better
The duquense whistle sounds like a banshee
that followed me over the sea
over the waves, and a thousand cold graves
so come on boys, and sing it with me.

It was sad when that great ship went down
it was sad when that great ship went down
cold ocean floor, will now be her home
it was sad when the great ship went down.

No comments:

Post a Comment